Thursday, August 29, 2013

Fave quotes from "The Witch of Portobello" by Paulo Coelho

“What is a teacher? I'll tell you: it isn't someone who teaches something, but someone who inspires the student to give of her best in order to discover what she already knows.” 

“After all, what is happiness? Love, they tell me. But love doesn't bring and never has brought happiness. On the contrary, it's a constant state of anxiety, a battlefield; it's sleepless nights, asking ourselves all the time if we're doing the right thing. Real love is composed of ecstasy and agony.” 

“Reason lost the battle, and all I could do was surrender and accept I was in love.”

“You are what you believe yourself to be” 

“Because all my life I've learned to suffer in silence - Athena” 

“You are what you believe yourself to be” 

“No one can manipulate anyone else. In any relationship, both parties know what they're doing. even if one complains later on that they were used.” 

“when mouths close, it’s becausethere’s something important to be said.” 

“I've noticed that loneliness gets stronger when we try to face it down, but gets weaker when we simply ignore it.” 

“All we have to do is understand that we're all here for a reason and to commit ourselves to that. Then we can laugh at our sufferings, large and small and walk fearlessly, aware that each step has meaning” 

“I've always been a very restless person. I work hard, spend too much time looking after my son, I dance like a mad thing, I learned calligraphy. I go to courses on selling, I read one book after another. But that's all a way of avoiding those moments when nothing is happening, because those blank spaces give me a feeling of absolute emptiness, in which not a single crumb of love exists.” 

“Joy is like sex – it begins and ends. I want pleasure. I want to be contended, but happiness? I no longer fall into that trap.


No comments:

Post a Comment